Making your own vegan cheese is super easy and this soft cheese recipe is perfect for spreading on bread or using for cheese toasties. You can also use it as a dip or to flavour sauces. Make up a batch and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. The wonderful colour comes from the addition of smoked paprika
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
What’s Good About It?
The addition of cashew nuts provides plenty of protein and healthy fats – many shop bought vegan cheeses are very low in protein and tend to be high in saturated fats and flavourings.
- Ideally soak and drain the cashew nuts for 30 minutes before using
- Place the cashew nuts and carrots in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the carrot is tender, about 6-8 minutes
- Drain well.
- Place the cashew nuts and carrots with all the other ingredients in a blender and process until thick and smooth.
- Place the mixture back into the pan and heat gently over a low heat stirring all the time. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes – it will thicken up quickly.
- Pour into a bowl or glass jar and allow to cool. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Did You Know?
You can use this as a base for a vegan cheese sauce – simply place in a blender with soya milk or other dairy free milk to thin then pour in a pan and heat.
100g cashew nuts, soaked in water then drained
3-4tbsp nutritional yeast flakes to taste
the liquid from a can of chickpeas (aquafaba)
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp garlic salt
Pinch of black pepper
2tsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
3tbsp tapioca flour