A delicious self saucing lemon pudding that is simple to prepare and much healthier than traditional recipes with the additional of xylitol to provide sweetness.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
What’s Good About it?
A light gluten free dessert low in sugar thanks to the addition of xylitol which is a natural sugar polyol derived from birch trees. Unlike traditional sugar it does not raise blood glucose levels significantly and has 1/3 of the calories. Lemons are a great source of flavonoids and vitamin C – potent antioxidants to support immune function.
- Preheat oven to 180°C, gas mark 4
- Combine the flour, baking powder and 1/2 of the xylitol in a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, melted spread, dairy free milk and lemon zest and beat to combine.
- Spoon the batter into a ovenproof dish.
- Combine the cornflour, custard powder and the remaining xylitol in a jug. Carefully blend in the lemon juice to form a smooth paste. Then gradually add 375ml boiling water stirring to mix. Pour over the pudding and immediately place in the oven. Do not stir the pudding.
- Bake the pudding for 30-40 minutes or until puffed and golden. It should be gooey underneath.
Did You Know?
Custard powder is a great way to help thicken gluten free recipes and provides a wonderful golden colour to the sponge.
125g gluten free flour
1tsp baking powder
50g dairy free spread melted
100ml dairy free milk
zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp cornflour
1tbsp custard powder