A delicious dairy free, gluten free tart full of flavour with the addition of roasted garlic and tomatoes. Using coconut or almond milk creates a wonderful creamy texture without the need to add cheese. Serve warm for a light lunch or dinner with a leafy green salad.
Difficulty – medium
Time – 60 minutes cooking time
Serves – 8
What’s good about it?
Broccoli is packed with an array of nutrients, including fibre, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and potassium. Broccoli also contains more protein than most other vegetables. While you can enjoy it raw or cooked some research suggests you get most benefit from lightly steaming broccoli.
- Make the pastry. Place the flour, xanthum gum, seasoning and diced spread in a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process until the pastry forms a ball. If necessary add a little cold water.
- Knead lightly, shape into a round and wrap in clingfilm.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to fit a 20cm / 8inch loose bottom tart tin. Trim the tart by placing the rolling pin firmly over the top.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5.
- Bake blind. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake the pastry case for 15 minutes then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes to crisp the base. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile place the garlic cloves in a piece of foil and drizzle over a little oil. Place the tomato halves in a shallow roasting tin. Pour over the olive oil and season. Bake the garlic and tomatoes for 15 minutes until soft.
- Steam the broccoli for 5 minutes. Rinse and refresh under cold water. Cut into 2.5cm pieces
- Whisk together the eggs and coconut milk. Add the crushed roasted garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the broccoli over the pastry case and pour over the egg mixture. Arrange the tomatoes on top. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until firm and golden.
Did you Know?
For an additional ‘cheesy’ flavour try adding 2tbsp nutritional yeast flakes to the filling. This also provides plenty of additional B vitamins.
360g gluten free plain flour
1 tsp xanthum gum
175g dairy free spread, chilled and diced
1 free range egg
12 cherry plum tomatoes, halved
4 garlic cloves, peeled
175g / 6oz tenderstem broccoli,
4 free range eggs
200ml / 7floz Coconut milk or Almond Milk