This is one of my favourite gluten free breads. Teff flour is high in protein and gives this bread a wonderfully nutty, rich flavour. If you cannot find teff use buckwheat or sorghum flour instead. Although you have to allow this bread to rise it is actually so easy to make. My boys love this bread – great for sandwiches or sliced warm from the oven. It will freeze well too – I often slice it first then open freeze until firm before packing into bags or containers. Watch our video of making this fabulous bread here
Difficulty – Medium
Time -40 minutes cooking
Makes 1 x 2lb loaf / 10 slices
What’s good about it?
Teff is a naturally gluten free flour, high in protein with a great combination of eight essential amino acids needed for the body’s growth and repair. It has high amounts of calcium, manganese, phosphorous, iron, copper and B vitamins.
- Sift the flours and place in a food processor with the ground almonds, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and dried yeast.
- Add the butter or coconut oil and process until it forms crumbs.
- Stir the molasses into 400ml warm water and pour into the mixture. Process to form a thick batter. Stir in the mixed seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into a clean bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Spoon the dough into the tin and allow it to rise again for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until it is golden and cooked through.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then remove from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
- Slice and serve.
Xanthum gum is a common gum added to gluten free breads to help the mixture bind and create a soft dough like texture. However if you want to avoid gums you could switch to pysllium husks or flaxseed instead.
Makes 1 x 2lb loaf, 10-12 slices
115g rice flour
100g potato starch
85g Teff or buckwheat flour
50g/2oz ground almonds
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum or psyllium husks
1tbsp blackstrap molasses or coconut sugar
1 tbsp/ 1 sachet fast acting dried yeast
60g butter, coconut oil or dairy-free spread
2tbsp mixed seeds e.g. sesame, sunflower, flaxseed
½ tsp Sea salt
Extra seeds for sprinkling