This is a great budget recipe making use of sausage meat and homemade gluten free shortcrust pastry. I like to flavour the sausage meat with cumin or smoked paprika or fresh herbs. You can also purchase sausage meat with added spices and herbs. Always check that your sausage meat is gluten free – if not you can use gluten free sausages and remove the skins from the sausages before using. You can make up a batch of sausage rolls and freeze them uncooked. You can defrost them in the fridge before baking.
Difficulty – Medium
Time – 20 minutes preparation, 25 minutes cooking
What’s good about it?
Instead of sausage meat you could use pork mince instead or gluten free sausages, removed from their casings. You can make the pastry dairy free by using a dairy free spread to replace the butter
- Make up the pastry and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Place the sausage meat in a bowl and add seasoning, cumin and paprika or fresh herbs
- Cut the pastry into two. Place one half in the fridge. Roll the other half between two sheets of clingfilm to form a rectangle about 10cm wide and 20cm long.
- Take pieces of the sausage meat and roll into a long sausage then place down one long side of the rectangle about 2cm from one edge. Brush the rest of the pastry with beaten egg then using the clingfilm roll up the pastry covering the sausagemeat to form a long roll. Wrap tightly in the cling film. Place on a baking tray and chill – ideally chill for 1 hour before using.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and sausagemeat and chill as before.
- Remove the rolls from the cling film and cut into slices to form sausage rolls. Place on the baking tray and brush the pastry tops with remaining beaten egg.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot or cold.
Did You Know?
Instead of sausage rolls you could make these into pasties. Mix the sausage meat with some frozen peas or chopped saute onion to the mix if wished.
1 quantity of gluten free shortcrust pastry -see recipe
1 egg, beaten
250g sausage meat
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
or 1tbsp fresh parsley chopped
salt and pepper