Based on the traditional digestive biscuit these have a lovely nutty flavour and the additional of gluten free oats provides plenty of texture and fibre. Low in sugar with the addition of xylitol or erythritol but you could use coconut sugar instead if wished.
Makes around 16 biscuits
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Using a combination of sorghum flour and oat flour and psyllium provides plenty of fibre to these cookies. You can make these dairy free by using dairy free spread instead of the butter.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse lightly to break up the oats. For a finer texture you can blitz the oats in a blender to form more of a flour if wished. Place the mixture into a large bowl.
- Cut up the butter into little dice. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add enough milk to form a wet dough – it should be a little on the damp side.
- Cover the dough in cling film and flatten. Chill for 30 minutes – this will make it easier to roll
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of cling film until 2-3cm thick.
- Stamp out rounds using a plain cutter and place the biscuits on the tray. You can re roll the dough to cut out more biscuits.
- Prick the biscuits lightly with a fork to make a pattern.
- Bake the biscuits for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool on the tray then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a pan. Dip one side of the biscuits in the chocolate and place back on the wire rack to set.
- These biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Did You Know?
You can replace the oats with millet or quinoa flakes in this recipe or switch to ground almonds.
150g sorghum flour
40g rice flour
80g tapioca flour
110g gluten free oats
1tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2tsp ground psyllium or use 1tsp xanthum gum
sea salt – pinch
75g xylitol or erythritol
175g butter (or dairy free spread)
Little milk or dairy free milk to bind
Coating – 150g Dark chocolate and 1tsp coconut oil