Apple and courgette are a great combination and perfect in cakes and muffins. Adding courgettes to breads and cakes is a delicious way to create moist bakes without the need to add extra oils or syrups. These courgette muffins are lightly sweetened with apple puree and xylitol. Courgettes provide plenty of fibre, antioxidants and B vitamins to support energy and immune health. Great for packed lunches or a grab and go breakfast option too.
Makes 12 muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Courgettes are delicious added to breads and cakes. They are a low carb vegetable, low in calories but a good source of magnesium, B vitamins and vitamin C.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4. Grease and line a muffin tin.
- Place the flours in the food processor with the xylitol and baking powder and briefly mix to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and blitz well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scoop to spoon the batter into the muffin moulds.
- Scatter over a few more chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and cooked through. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and placing on a rack to cool completely.
Nutrition per muffin 168kcal, Fat 9g of which saturates 4.5g, Carbohydrates 19g of which sugars 3.3g, Protein 3.6g
Did You Know?
You could replace the courgette with grated carrot and swap the chocolate chips with raisins or chopped nuts.
150g apple puree
115g dairy free spread
100g gluten free self raising flour
80g Gluten free oats
15g coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 courgette grated
75g dairy free chocolate chips