For those on a gluten free diet it is often those sweet treats you miss the most. Well these Gluten free Chelsea Buns are a real winner!
Delicious from the oven – warm, sticky Chelsea buns drizzled with a little icing. These gluten free buns are actually really simple to make and can be made dairy free too. Watch our video showing step by step how to make them
Makes 8 buns
Preparation time: 1-2 hours (includes proving time)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About It?
You don’t need to miss out on a gluten free diet. These delicious gluten free buns are an ideal treat and can be made dairy free as well.
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- Add the melted butter and egg to the bowl and enough milk to form a soft dough – you may not need all of the liquid.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly to form a smooth dough.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and leave to rise, covered for one hour.
- Place cling film on a work surface and dust with a little gluten free flour. Place the dough on top and place cling film over the top of the dough. Roll out the dough to form a rectangle – about 30cm by 20cm.
- Remove the top cling film. Brush all over with the softened butter. Evenly sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and dried fruit.
- Roll up the dough like a Swiss roll using the longest side. Cut into 8 pieces.
- Grease a deep roasting tin or baking tray.
- Place the buns, cut side up, into the greased baking tray. Leave to rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 190C, gas mark 5
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden-brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and let them cool slightly before transferring them from the tin to a cooling rack.
- Melt the apricot jam and brush the tops with the jam
- Allow to cool. Mix the icing sugar with a little water then drizzle over the cooled buns
- These are best eaten on the day they are made.
Makes 8 buns
500g Gluten free bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 x 7g sachets of fast acting yeast
250-300ml milk or dairy free milk
40g butter or dairy free spread, melted
30g softened butter or dairy free spread
50g xylitol, coconut sugar or other sugar alternative
150g dried berries or raising
1tbsp apricot jam
150g icing sugar