Looking for a quick and easy breakfast option or something for a pick me up snack? These delicious gluten free cereal bars are so much healthier than shop bought brands and taste amazing. Ideal for packed lunches as well – you can swap the nut butter for tahini which is often allowed at schools rather than nuts. The lucuma powder is optional but I think it adds a lovely creamy, caramel like flavour to the bars. Add a scoop of protein powder for a fabulous post workout snack.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 1 hour freezing
Makes – 16 bars
What’s good about it?
Oats are a perfect way to kick start the day – they contain slow releasing carbohydrate, fibre, protein and an array of vitamins and minerals including manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and B vitamins.
- Grease and line a rectangular traybake tin approximately 27cm x 20cm.
- Place the sweet freedom or maple syrup, nut butter and cacao butter in a pan. Heat gently until melted.
- Place the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
- Pour over the wet mixture and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour to harden.
- Bring to room temperature then cut into bars.
- The bars can be stored in the fridge for a week or can be kept frozen for 1 month.
Did You Know?
You could switch the cacao butter for coconut oil instead but the bars may be a little softer. Turn them into a healthy chocolate treat and substitute the cacao butter for high quality chocolate.
60g Sweet freedom / maple syrup
100g nut butter or tahini
150g Cacao Butter
100g dried fruit
100g gluten free oats
75g mixed seeds
40g gluten free rice pops
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tbsp lucuma powder
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)