This delicious salad recipe is taken from my book Eat Yourself Pregnant written with Zita West.
I love the sweet, tangy flavour of the dressing which complements the oily richness of the trout. This is also an easy way to encourage children to eat more oily fish too. Hot-smoked trout requires no preparation, making this a speedy, healthy lunch, packed lunch option or evening meal. If you can’t get hold of hot smoked trout use salmon or prawns instead.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes
Serves – 2
What’s good about it?
Trout is an oily fish and a useful source of omega-3 fats. It’s also rich in protein and B-vitamins, including niacin, B12 and B6, which are important for energy levels.
- Lightly toast the cashews in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring.
- Blanch the mangetout in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain and refresh under cold water.
- Put the mangetout in a serving bowl with the rocket, cucumber, lychees, herbs, chilli and onion and toss together. Break up the trout and scatter over the top of the salad, then sprinkle with the toasted cashews.
- To make the dressing, mix together the lime juice, xylitol and fish sauce in a non-reactive bowl. Drizzle over the salad and serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 36.6g Carbohydrate 35.8g, of which sugars 30.5g Fat 20.1g, of which saturates 4g Kcals 449
Did you Know?
Lychees are rich in antioxidant vitamin C, with more than 100 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C in one cup. Lychees have one of the highest concentrations of polyphenols among fruits, including rutin, a bioflavonoid known to strengthen blood vessels. Certain compounds in lychee seeds have shown powerful anti-viral activity, including against the herpes simplex virus
- 60g/2¼oz/heaped ⅓ cup cashew nuts
- 150g/5½oz mangetout
- 2 large handfuls of rocket leaves
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced
- 10 lychees, peeled, halved and pitted
- 1 handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 225g/8oz hot-smoked trout
Sweet lime Dressing
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp xylitol
- 1–2 tbsp fish sauce, to taste