Lightly spiced Middle Eastern Flatbreads are simple and easy to make and delicious served with dips, tagines and curries. While this is a yeasted bread you can make them without and use baking powder for a speedier option – see notes for this option. My boys love these with curries and they are a useful budget option for students too. As these are baked in the oven rather than fried they are a much healthier option too.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 10 minutes cooking
What’s good about it?
A simple home made bread option baked rather than fried in the oven. You could also add some seeds to the bread mixture to add a little more fibre and healthy fats. These can also be frozen once cooked for up to 1 month. Simply warm through in the oven from frozen to serve.
- Place the seeds in a non-stick frying pan for a minute until fragrant. Grind with a pestle and mortar or place in a mini processor or nutri bullet to grind.
- Dissolve the yeast with the honey in a jug with the warm water. Leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Place the flour, salt and spices in a large bowl and gradually pour in the yeast mixture. Pour in the yogurt and olive oil and continue to mix to form a soft dough. Add a little more water if needed for the dough to come together. Knead lightly.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with cling. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Place the dough between sheets of cling or greaseproof paper and roll them into oval shapes. Brush the tops with a little water and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place them carefully on the bars in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until puffed up and lightly golden. If you prefer you can place them on a greased baking tray instead.
Did You Know?
For a speedier option remove the yeast and honey and add 2tsp baking powder instead. You could also replace toasting the spices and use 1tsp ground cumin and coriander instead.
2tsp coriander seeds
2tsp cumin seeds
2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
1tbsp maple syrup or honey
150ml / 5floz tepid water
1/2 tsp sea salt or garlic salt
500g Gluten Free Bread Flour (e.g Doves)
150-200g natural yogurt or coconut yogurt
1tbsp olive oil
1tbsp sesame seeds for sprinkling