Lightly spiced Middle Eastern Flatbreads are simple and easy to make and delicious served with dips, tagines and curries. While this is a yeasted bread you can use baking powder instead for a speedier option – see notes below for this option. Delicious served with curries or soups and a useful budget option for students too. For more healthy budget options see my ebook The Healthy Gluten Free Student.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation plus proving, 10 minutes cooking
What’s good about it?
A simple home made bread option baked rather than fried in the oven. You could also add some additional seeds to the dough before baking if wished. These can also be frozen once cooked for up to 1 month. Simply warm through in the oven from frozen to serve.
- Place the seeds in a non-stick frying pan for a minute until fragrant. Grind with a pestle and mortar or place in a mini processor or nutri bullet to grind.
- Dissolve the yeast with the honey or maple syrup in a jug with the warm water. Leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Place the flour, salt and spices in a large bowl and gradually pour in the yeast mixture. Pour in the yogurt and olive oil and continue to mix to form a soft dough. Add a little more water if needed for the dough to come together. Knead lightly.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with cling. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Place the dough between sheets of cling or greaseproof paper and roll them into oval shapes. Brush the tops with a little water and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place them carefully on the bars in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until puffed up and lightly golden. If you prefer you can place them on a greased baking tray instead.
Did You Know?
For a speedier option remove the yeast and honey and add 2tsp baking powder instead. For additional flavour add some chopped fresh coriander to the dough.
2tsp coriander seeds
2tsp cumin seeds
2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
1tbsp maple syrup or honey
150ml / 5floz tepid water
1/2 tsp sea salt or garlic salt
500g Gluten Free Bread Flour (e.g Doves Farm)
150-200g natural yogurt or coconut yogurt
1tbsp olive oil
1tbsp sesame seeds for sprinkling