A protein packed meal in a bowl. This creamy chicken corn chowder is packed with veggies and using a little quinoa helps to naturally thicken the broth. A simple recipe to make and cook as everything is thrown into the pan and left to simmer. You can make this soup ahead and reheat when needed. Ideal too for freezing.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Quinoa is a protein packed gluten free grain providing plenty of fibre and a good source of antioxidants such as quercetin known for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole dish.
- Saute the onion, peppers and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken and toss in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Season with a little sea salt and black pepper.
- Bring the soup to the boil then reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the soup has thickened.
- Top with chopped nuts or seeds and season with additional black pepper.
- This can keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can freeze the soup for 1 month.
Nutrition per serving 292kcal, Fat 12.7g, Carbohydrates 16.6g, Protein 25.3g
Did You Know?
Instead of quinoa add 6 new potatoes halved.
1tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
300g chicken breast, diced
3 courgettes, chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can (325g) sweetcorn, drained
1 x 400g can light coconut milk
1 chicken stock cube
1tbsp Dijon mustard
pinch of stevia or xylitol