Delicious creamy freezer chocolate protein bars. These are perfect for a post workout snack or healthy pick me up treat. Use a vegan chocolate protein powder if you wish to keep these vegan. Serve these chilled or frozen.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 4-5 hours freezing
Makes 12 bars
What’s good about it?
Adding protein powder to these bars makes a perfect post workout treat. The addition of coconut yogurt also provides a dose of beneficial bacteria to support a healthy gut.
- Blend all nut layer ingredients (except the nuts) in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer 1/3 of this mixture (leaving the remaining mixture in the food processor) and set aside while you make the base.
- Add the nuts to the food processor and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture into lined shallow container approximately 16cm square. Spread evenly and press down firmly. Chill.
- Place the remaining mixture back in the processor with the chocolate fudge layer ingredients and blend again until smooth. Pour this mixture over the top of the nut layer and smooth out the top. If wish sprinkle with chocolate or nuts.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. Remove from the tin and cut into bars.
- Keep in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
Did You Know?
Use any nuts or seeds in the base layer. If you want to include dairy then full fat Greek yogurt would make a great alternative to the coconut yogurt.
Makes 12 bars
Nut Chocolate Layer
200g cacao butter, melted
60g chocolate protein powder
2tbsp xylitol or erythritol
6tbsp almond milk
2tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
100g almonds or other nuts of choice
Chocolate Fudge Layer
4 tbsp coconut yogurt or other dairy free yogurt
2tbsp cacao powder
pinch of sea salt