This is a fabulous speedy recipe – ideal when you fancy a sweet treat. I love this with a spoonful of coconut yogurt. I use a protein powder in this recipe to boost the overall protein content and often like making this post workout. It is so quick and easy that it is perfect as an evening protein boost too. You can vary the flavourings in the cake batter – try a little expresso coffee powder to perk you up in the morning or a little maca powder to support adrenal function. You could also stir in a handful of berries or chocolate chips for texture.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 5 minutes preparation, 2 minutes cooking
What’s good about it?
A delicious protein packed treat. If you don’t have almond flour you can use almond meal instead or coconut flour. WIth coconut flour you may need a little extra almond milk to mix.
- Use a little coconut oil to a grease a microwave-safe mug or ramekin
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl with the maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Stir in the almond flour, raw cacao powder, maca, salt and soda and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mug and microwave on high until cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- If you wish to bake this ensure your mug or ramekin is ovenproof. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 180C, gas mark 4.
- Scatter over the flaked almonds to serve.
Did you Know?
For a vegan option replace the egg with 1tbsp nut butter or tahini or 2tbsp apple puree.
1/2 tsp coconut oil to grease
1 large egg
1 tbsp maple syrup (or use xyitol)
2 tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 heaped tbsp almond flour
2tbsp / 1 scoop of Chocolate protein powder (or use raw cacao powder)
1/2 tsp maca powder, optional
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1tsp dairy free chocolate chips, optional
2tsp flaked almonds to top