This delicious moist vegan cake is rich and indulgent tasting but with the addition of xylitol keeps the sugar content down. I sneaked me some protein powder to give this cake an extra boost. You can get superfood mix protein powders as well as cocoa superfood mixes which can be used in this recipe. If you want a higher protein content use soy yogurt and soy milk which have a higher protein content compared to coconut yogurt and milk.
Makes 1 x 1lb loaf
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
What’s Good About It?
An indulgent tasting treat this cake is lower in sugar than many cakes and also contains a reasonable amount of protein to help support blood sugar levels.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin
- Place the xylitol and dairy free spread in a food processor and beat until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and briefly mix.
- Slowly pour in the wet ingredients and beat well until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked through. Place a skewer in the centre of the cake and it should come out clean
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack
- If wished decorate with a little chocolate ganache / buttercream and top with fruit
- This is also delicious served with a spoonful of yogurt.
Nutrition per slice (without icing) (about 74g slice) 211kcal, Fat 10.4g, Carbohydrates 21.1g, Protein 7.6g
Did You Know?
Add a little extra fibre to this cake with a spoonful of ground flaxseed or chia seed. You can reduce the cocoa powder to 20g and add some lucuma or maca for a slightly nutty flavour.
100g coconut oil or dairy free spread
180g gluten free self raising flour ( I used FREEE)
60g chocolate protein powder
40g cocoa powder or cacao superfood mix
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of sea salt
50ml strong cold coffee
60g soy milk or other dairy free milk
170g soy yogurt or other vegan yogurt
Fresh raspberries or other fruit
Chocolate ganache or chocolate buttercream (keep sugar content down using powdered erythritol)