A delicious easy to make protein bar that tastes as good as shop bought versions. Without added syrups or sugars this has a subtle lemon flavour and topped with a layer of chocolate makes it feel really indulgent. Ideal as a breakfast on the go, snack or post workout treat.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 1-2 hours
Cooking time: 2 minutes
What’s Good About It?
It is actually easy to make your own protein bars – this delicious no bake bar is sweetened with dates and by adding in protein powder you can improve the overview level of protein per slice.
- Grease and line a traybake tin (approx 30cm by 20cm).
- Place the lemon juice and zest with the dates, nut butter and xylitol in a blender or food processor and process to form a thick smooth paste.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the date paste and mix to combine. You may find it easier to use your hands to bring the mixture together. It should stick together – if not add a dash of water.
- Spoon the mixture into the traybake tin and press down firmly with your hands.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in a pan over a very low heat.
- Pour over the top of the bar. Place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to harden.
- Cut into slices. These are best kept in the fridge or can be frozen.
Nutrition per bar 196kcal, Fat 10.6g, Carbohydrates 16.1g, Protein 7.6g
Did You Know?
For an immune boosting bar you could swap the protein powder for colostrum powder – I use COLODAN colostrum.
Makes 18 bars
Grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
100g soft pitted dates
75g nut butter – any type works well
100g ground almonds
60g vanilla protein powder
150g gluten free porridge oats
4tbsp ground flaxseed
50g raisins or other dried fruit
50g sunflower seeds
60g desiccated coconut
200g dark chocolate
1tsp coconut oil