Bitter greens such as chicory are a great addition to any salad as they help stimulate digestive secretions. I absolutely love using raw fennel in salads which is often traditionally used to ease bloating and indigestion. The dressing is really simple but incredibly nutritious thanks to the addition of walnut oil rich in omega 3 fats. Tahini provides a wonderful creamy texture plus plenty of calcium and magnesium.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes
What’s good about it?
Tahini makes a perfect addition to salad dressings especially if you want to create a creamy taste without dairy. Tahini is a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron and vitamin E.
- To make the dressing whisk all the ingredients together to form a creamy thick
- Add a little water if needed to thin as necessary. Season to taste. This
- can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days
- Remove the outer layer from the fennel and shred it finely.
- Slice or tear the chicory leaves.
- Quarter the apple and remove the core. Cut into thin slices.
- Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl
- Drizzle over the dressing and toss lightly just before serving.
Did You Know?
You can swap the walnut oil for an omega blend oil or simply replace with extra virgin olive oil which is a good source of monounsaturated fats.
1 medium fennel bulb
2 heads chicory, leaves separated
4 radishes thinly sliced.
Bag of mixed salad leaves
Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved.
1 apple thinly sliced.
2tsp white wine vinegar
2tbsp lemon juice
5tbsp walnut oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste