Gluten free savoury pancakes lightly spiced and flavoured with spring onion and herbs makes these a perfect filling breakfast or lunch. Chickpea flour (also known as gram or besan flour) is rich in protein and fibre and packed with vitamins and minerals including folate B vitamins, magnesium, iron and zinc. The pancakes can be prepared in advance and reheated with the filling when needed.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 10-15 minutes cooking
Serves – 2
What’s good about it?
Chickpea (gram flour) flour is rich in protein and fibre making it an ideal nutritious gluten free and vegan option
- In a small bowl, beat together the chickpea flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, baking powder, and nutritional yeast flakes.
- Add the water and whisk well until smooth and not lumpy.
- Stir in the spring onion and red pepper and herbs
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Pour in half of the batter and spread it out over the pan. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top with additional herbs, onion, salsa if wished.
Did you Know?
You could fill these pancakes with spicy beans or grated vegan cheese for a more substantial dish.
Olive oil for frying
45g chickpea flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1/4 chopped red pepper
Handful of chopped fresh herbs (e.g parsley, coriander etc)
To serve: additional spring onions, herbs, salsa etc