This is a fabulous curry and easily adaptable using firm tofu if you want a vegan option. The sauce is packed with flavour and has the added benefit of cramming in plenty of vegetables. You can make up the sauce in advance and store in the fridge for a couple of days if wished. Serve with rice or quinoa if wished or for a lower carb option simply add a mixed salad.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation time, 18 minutes cooking
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Chicken is a great source of protein containing around 30g per 100g. It is also a good source of B vitamins and minerals including selenium, zinc, iron and manganese. An ideal source of supporting healthy muscle mass and energy
- Get ahead and make the sauce. Mix the cornflour with 3tbsp water to make a paste. Heat a little oil in a saucepan and add the vegetables and apple. Fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chicken stock, cornflour paste, tamari, curry powder and maple syrup into the pan with 300ml water stirring all the time until it begins to thicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. Use a hand blender and process the sauce until smooth.
- Season the cornflour with salt and pepper
- Place the beaten egg in a bowl and the breadcrumbs or ground up oats in a separate bowl or plate
- Lightly dust the chicken breasts in the flour and dip into the egg and then the breadcrumbs to coat
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat
- Fry the breaded chicken on a medium heat for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked through. Remove from the pan and place on a chopped board. Slice the chicken for serving
- Spoon rice and steamed vegetables in a bowl and pour over the sauce. Top with the sliced chicken
Did You Know?
For a vegan option – replace the stock with vegetable stock and use a piece of firm tofu. Coat in cornflour rather than flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry until crisp on both sides then slice to serve.
2 chicken breasts
2 tbsp cornflour
1 egg, beaten
2 handfuls of gluten free breadcrumbs or gluten free oats ground up slightly
1tbsp olive oil
100g mushrooms finely chopped
3 carrots, grated
1 chicken stock cube (check gluten free)
1tbsp medium curry powder
1 apple, grated
1tbsp maple syrup
splash of water
2tbsp tamari soy sauce
Olive oil for frying
Wholegrain rice or quinoa to serve.
Steamed vegetables to serve
Chilli, sliced to garnish