A delicious gluten free chocolate cake with a hidden ingredient – cauliflower! The addition keeps the cake wonderfully moist while the use of yogurt and olive oil gives a creamy, rich taste. Low in sugar thanks to the addition of xylitol and topped with a fabulous protein chocolate frosting.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What’s Good About It?
A low sugar cake with plenty of monounsaturated fats thanks to the addition of olive oil. Using protein powder in the frosting is an ideal way to increase protein while keeping the cake low in sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4. Grease a traybake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Place the xylitol, olive oil, yogurt and eggs in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until thick and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the tin and smooth the top. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin. Remove and place on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate with the coconut milk and beat in the chocolate protein powder to form a stiff, smooth icing. Spread the icing over the cake and decorate with chocolate shavings or orange zest.
Did You Know?
For an orange flavour try adding the zest of an orange to the cake batter and a few drops of orange extract.
120ml light olive oil
200ml coconut yogurt
250g steamed cool cauliflower
100g melted chocolate
300g gluten free self raising flour
30g chocolate protein powder
30g cocoa powder
1tbsp baking powder
200g chocolate chips
4-6tbsp coconut milk
60-75g chocolate protein powder