These delicious little bites are a variation on the traditional falafel but packed with more veggies. Perfect served with tomato sauce or ideal for packing into pittas with vegan mayo and salad. You can make these ahead of time and then bake when needed. These can also be frozen.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes around 16 bites
What’s Good About It?
A great way to cram in more veggies these little bites also provide plenty of protein with the addition of chickpeas.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- Steam the carrot until just tender.
- Place the carrots, oats, onion, sun dried tomato, garlic and spices in a food processor and blitz until the mixture starts to break down. Add the nutritional yeast flakes and chickpeas and process until the mixture is combined but still just a little chunky.
- Pulse in the sweetcorn and break up just a little.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl. It should be soft. If it is too wet add a little gluten free flour or a dash of water if it too dry.
- Place in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up a little.
- Take spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls. Flatten to form little rounds.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan / saute pan and fry the falafels on each side for a few minutes until golden.
- Place on a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until piping hot, golden and crispy.
- These will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can freeze them for up to 1 month.
- Delicious served with tomato sauce and salad.
Nutrition per bite 60kcal, Fat 1.6g, Carbohydrates 7.5g, Protein 2.5g
Did You Know?
Adding nutritional yeast flakes provides a wonderful cheesy flavour and plenty of B vitamins
50g gluten free oats
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 sun dried tomato, drained
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of salt
3tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
100g canned sweetcorn
1tbsp coconut oil