Chia seeds are an amazing powerhouse – rich in fibre, protein and omega 3 fats they make a perfect breakfast option to keep you energised through the morning. Make this the night before and assemble just before serving – this way it is a no fuss breakfast option too. You can vary the fruit according to what you have available. Use bags of frozen fruit if wished.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Soak overnight in the fridge
What’s Good About It?
Chia seeds are a great protein option containing all the essential amino acids the body needs. Adding the protein powder gives this breakfast option and substantial amount of protein to keep you fuelled through the morning.
- Blend together the milk, protein powder, vanilla and maple syrup until smooth. Pour the chia seeds into a container with a lid (or use a jug) then pour over the milk mixture and stir well.
- Place the fridge overnight or if wishing to eat straight away allow it to soak for 30 minutes.
- Place the blueberries (or other fruit) in a small pan with a splash of water and simmer over a low heat until the fruit is really soft. For a really smooth texture puree the fruit in a blender or use a hand held blender.
- To serve spoon a little of the chia mixture into a glass and top with a little fruit puree and repeat the layers.
- Top with fresh blueberries and if wished a spoonful of coconut yogurt.
Nutrition per serving (with protein powder) 217kcal, Fat 7.7g, Carbohydrates 20.7g, Protein 15.7g
Did You Know?
For a smoother texture blend the chia seed mixture to form a thick pudding.
3 tablespoons chia seeds
250ml Coconut milk or almond milk
30g vanilla protein powder, optional
1tsp vanilla extract
2tsp maple syrup (or use erythritol or xylitol)
150g fresh or frozen blueberries
A few extra blueberries for topping – optional
Coconut yogurt optional for topping