This delicious vegan dish is so simple to make – after a quick saute it is all piled into a roasting dish and baked in the oven! I love this combination of beans and veggies with taco spices. Baking the rice is a great fuss free way to create a family one pot meal with little effort too. Leftovers are ideal for lunch or dinner the next day.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the onion, carrots, peppers, garlic and courgettes for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Tip in the remaining ingredients except the cheese and stir well.
- Pour the whole mixture into a lightly greased baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and scatter over the cheese. Bake for a further 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Nutrition per serving: 378kcal, Fat 12.1g, Carbohydrates 48.2g, Protein 12.6g
Did You Know?
Once cooked you can portion this dish and freeze it. To reheat either place in a pan and cook through, microwave until piping hot or cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
1tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 small carrots, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
2 small courgettes diced
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
2 x cans kidney beans, drained
1 x can chickpeas, drained
2tbsp taco seasoning
1 x can (400g) chopped tomatoes
60g tomato puree
130g basmati rice
330ml vegetable stock
200g grated vegan cheese