A tangy home made burger recipe that can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to cook them. This recipe uses our low sugar BBQ sauce recipe to add plenty of flavour. If you prefer a meat option follow our tips below.
Makes 6 burgers
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
What’s Good About It?
A great recipe for meal prep. You can make up a batch of these and either keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze them uncooked for 3 months. They can then be cooked from frozen. You could replace the BBQ sauce for 1tsp smoked paprika, pinch of chilli powder and 60g tomato puree and dash of maple syrup instead or use Nandos medium piri piri sauce.
- If you are cooking the burgers immediately. Preheat the oven to 190C, Gas mark 5.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Place the onion, garlic, sauce in a food processor and blend roughly
- Add the beans, oats, cornfour and carrot and pulse to combine. Don’t overprocess – it needs to have some texture.
- Shape the mixture into 6 burgers
- Place the burgers on the baking parchment
- Place the burgers in the oven and cook on one side for 20 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 15-20 minutes until golden
- Serve in a roll if wished with lettuce, onion and sliced tomatoes.
Nutrition per burger (with roll) 263kcal, Fat 3g, Carbs 42.3g, Protein 11.7g
Did You Know?
For a meat option simply mix 1/2 grated red onion with the chopped garlic, some chilli or smoked paprika plus 1 egg and 500g lean mince and shape into 6 small burgers. Grill or griddle 5-6 minutes on each side. Then serve with the low Sugar BBQ Sauce.
1 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
60g prepared low sugar BBQ Sauce or shop bought (or use Nandos medium peri sauce)
1 x can kidney beans, drained
1 x can butter beans, drained
1 small carrot grated
60g gluten free porridge oats or GF breadcrumbs