Jazz up mackerel with this delicious, easy dish. The sauce doubles up as a marinade and a cooking sauce. Mackerel is a fabulous omega 3 rich fish and often overlooked yet simple to prepare and a great protein source too. Use any vegetables in this recipe according to taste.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Omega 3 rich foods like oily fish are an ideal anti-inflammatory foods to include regularly in your diet. Good options include salmon, trout, sardines, mackerel, prawns.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Place the vegetables on a lined baking tray.
- Make up the sauce by placing all the ingredients in a blender and thinning if needed with a little water. Pour the ¾ of the sauce on the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Place the remaining sauce over the mackerel and leave to marinate if possible in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes then place the fish on top and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Accompany with a mixed salad.
Nutrition per serving 478kcal, Fat 31.7g, Carbohydrates 18.8g, Protein 25.4g
Did You Know?
You can make this sauce ahead of time and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Delicious with chicken or tofu too.
2 red onions sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 head of broccoli cut into florets
2 red peppers, cut into chunks
2 carrots, cut into strips
4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6tbsp balsamic vinegar
60g sun dried tomatoes, drained
6tbsp apricot compote/pure fruit spread
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
½ tsp chilli flakes or to taste
4 mackerel fillets, boned, skin on.