Struggling to find a good paleo bread recipe? Try these delicious almond flour poppy seed rolls. Light and springy thanks to the addition of pysllium husks. Using almond flour keeps the overall carbs down and provides protein and healthy fats. Easy to make and ideal for when you’re craving carbs. Make a big batch as they freeze well too.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 45 minutes cooking time
Makes 4 bread rolls
What’s good about it?
Almond flour is popular paleo and keto alternative to regular flour. Almond flour is incredibly nutritious. It’s particularly rich in vitamin E and magnesium and provides fibre and protein.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Place the almond flour, psyllium husks, baking powder, salt in a food processor or large bowl and mix to combine.
- With the food processor running add the egg whites and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour in the boiling water and poppy seeds and process to form a soft dough. You can do this in a bowl as well but you will need to knead the mixture for a couple of minutes so it comes together to form a springy dough.
- Divide the dough into four pieces. Roll each piece into a small ball.
- Place on the baking tray and brush the tops with the leftover egg yolks.
- Scatter with poppy seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
Did You Know?
Psyllium husk powder are perfect in low carb, keto recipes helping to provide fibre as it acts like a glue binding ingredients together. Make sure you use a fine powder rather than just the coarse husks. As it is rich in soluble fibre make sure you drink plenty of fluids when eating dishes high in pysllium.
Makes 4 rolls
140g Almond Flour
4tbsp pysllium husks – ground
1tsp sea salt
2tsp gluten free baking powder
3 egg whites (save the yolks for glazing)
2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
200ml boiling water
1tbsp poppy seeds plus additional for sprinkling