Got a few ripe bananas to use up? Try this simple – 5 ingredient protein packed gluten free slice. Naturally sweet using just bananas and vegan too! I used gluten free oats but you could swap this for quinoa flakes, rice flakes or amaranth flakes. Vanilla pea protein tastes great in this recipe – there are many good brands out there including Nuzest, NutriStrength, Purition, Sunwarrior just to name a few. I like using dairy free chocolate chips by Plamil in this recipe but you could simply chop up your favourite dairy free chocolate bar and tip into the mixture. Check out our video showing how easy it is to make.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 5 minutes preparation, 20-25 minutes cooking
Makes 16 bars
What’s good about it?
Bananas are a great way to sweeten homemade bars and biscuits without added sugars. They are also ideal for replacing eggs for vegan recipes. Bananas are a useful prebiotic food meaning they help support healthy gut flora and overall digestive health.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
- If the nut butter is really thick you may wish to warm it slightly to make the mixing easier.
- Simply place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a glass bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon until it is thoroughly combined.
- Tip in the chocolate chips and mix into the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the bar is golden and firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into bars
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did You Know?
Bananas are a good dietary source of potassium and magnesium, two nutrients that are essential for heart health. Bananas also contain plenty of resistant starch and pectin, which can help reduce appetite and keep you feeling full.
100g gluten free oats (or quinoa flakes, amaranth flakes, rice flakes)
60g Vanilla protein powder
4 ripe bananas, mashed
125g Almond nut butter (or other nut butter)
75g Dairy free chocolate chips