A great alternative to rice – minced cauliflower! This is a delicious recipe and very versatile. Instead of the prawns you could add any seafood, fish or meat. Ideal for lunch or an evening meal and equally scrummy cold if you have leftovers. For a vegan version omit the prawns and egg and toss in pan fried cubed tofu or canned chickpeas
Difficulty – Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Using Cauliflower instead of rice is a great way to keep the overall carbohydrates low and cram in more vegetables into your diet.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. It should resemble small ‘rice like’ pieces
- Toss the prawns in a little coconut amino or soy sauce and saute in a pan with the coconut oil until just pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the beaten egg into the pan to form an omelette. Remove from the pan and slice thinly
- Place a little more oil in the pan and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot and cauliflower and season. Place the lid on a steam fry for 5 minutes. Once softened add the tamari soy sauce, miso paste, fish sauce, vinegar and herbs and stir well.
- Add the prawns and egg and cook through before serving.
Nutrition per serving 273kcal, Fat 8.4g, Carbs 22.9g, Protein 25.2g
Nutrition per serving (vegan with tofu) 265kcal, Fat 9.9g, Carbs 23.6g, Protein 19.1g
For a vegan option pan fry 400g cubed tofu and omit the fish sauce, egg and prawns
1 small head of cauliflower, separated in florets (400g)
2tsp coconut oil or olive oil
250g raw prawns (replace with 400g cubed pan fried tofu for vegan)
2 large eggs, beaten and seasoned (omit if vegan)
1 piece of fresh root ginger, grated
1 garlic clove crushed
1 small onion, finely chopped
100g sliced shittake mushrooms
1 carrot, diced
Handful of chopped coriander leaves
Handful of chopped basil
Handful of chopped mint
1-2 tablespoons of tamari soy sauce
1tsp rice vinegar or to taste
1tsp white miso paste
Dash of fish sauce to taste (omit if vegan)